Dating and Relationships in Isolation
Masturbating / Sexual Pleasure
There are many benefits to masturbating, including reducing stress, boosting your mood, helping sleep and overall getting happy hormones surging through your body! There are many different ways to masturbate, whether that is using your hands or a sex toy. In a time where we were cannot participate in casual sex, it a great way to still feel pleasure and perhaps even become more in touch with our bodies and what makes us feel good.
Some recommendations for self pleasure in isolation
- Omgyes - Online site that gives people tips about different techniques they can use to reach orgasm
- Bellesa - free and ethical porn website that aims to put an end to slut-shaming and be inclusive of the LGBTQI+ community
- Buying a sex toy (a website we love is Lovehoney)
Dating and relationships
COVID-19 has undoubtedly created some level of change in all relationships, whether they are long term or have only just begun and navigating having a partner during this time is certainly different. We have a few pointers for you to think about when it comes to your relationship during a global pandemic.
- Most dating apps have added new features or allowed paid features to be free during this time
- Bumble has added a question game feature to make it easier to continue conversation without physically seeing someone, they also have a video chat feature
- Tinder has made their passport feature available for free, which allows users to choose any location to virtually match with people
- Hinge have recently added a pop-up “Date From Home” button that users can click on when they are ready to go on a digital date with someone
- You could order some food or cook together over video chat, or even go for a socially distanced walk together if you feel comfortable
Boundaries and Communication
- Establishing and maintaining boundaries during this time is crucial for your relationship
- If you are living together, making sure you have the space (if not literally, mentally) to be away from your partner and have alone time, or time to call friends/family
- Communicate how you are feeling with your partner about if you need some more space and work out ways with them that you are able to do this
- Make sure to keep checking in with them about any boundaries that you have set between each other
- You may be away from your partner and living separately… which is where phone sex comes in as an option!
- You can level up sexting by engaging in phone sex, that can even include using facetime
- Remember that consent still applies to any kind of phone sex or sexting, always regularlry check in with someone to make sure they are okay with what you are engaging in!
MSA Women’s Department
The MSA Women’s Department exists to advocate for women and non-binary people at Monash University. We aspire to facilitate a safe and inclusive community culture that supports, empowers and connects all students no matter their gender.
Contact MSA Women's: