Home Environment Tips
Help to reduce the approximate 40% of household waste sent to landfill with this easy-to-do practice at home! It also helps to create great soil for any potential veggie patches!
Tips for getting started:
- Visit ecobin.com.au for some great tips and a free pdf guide! Also - the melbourne.vic.gov.au also has some useful resources on sustainability at home! Including a 10 minute, interactive guide at compostrevolution.com.au
- Did you know: If you live within the city of Monash, you can claim a discounted compost bin, worm farm or Bokashi bin via a Council rebate!! No better time to get started.
- Unsure of which composting system suits you best? Visit sustainability.vic.gov.au to find out more!
- Don’t have space for a composting system? Locate a neighbour on sharewaste.com who is already composting & willing to take your kitchen scraps!
Having a veggie garden reduces your carbon footprint by reducing food miles, avoids pesticides and gives you a new relaxing past-time – what’s not to love! You’re supporting an ecosystem in your backyard, as well as becoming a fast favourite from your friends when you supply the home-grown goods! Even beginning small with a herb garden is a great place to start!
- For a beginners guide to starting a veggie garden, check out some awesome guides at: biome.com.au or gardenersworld.com
- Top tip: Bunnings Warehouse also has some awesome online guides! Including ‘How To Design A Herb Garden’ at bunnings.com.au
- Also, even for just a beginners guide in gardening, check out almanac.com or gardeningknowhow.com - this one even has tips on the specific veggies you’re planting!!
Reducing your impact on climate change
One of the biggest things you can do is eat for a climate-stable planet! This means both eating meat-free where you can, as well as reducing your food waste (see composting above)
- Also - don’t let isolation curb your capacity to be a positive activist! Let your local MP know that you demand action on climate change, by sending them a letter - you definitely now have the time to!
- Stay tuned for an upcoming ESJ cookbook which provides comprehensive meat-free meals! Moreover, visit meatfreemondays.com for some great recipes!
Saving Water whilst at home
Did you know simply by using a cold cycle on your wash, you can save up to $115? Also, using mulch or pots for you plants can reduce evaporation by up to 70%! For further tips, visit urbanwater.melbourne.vic.gov.au
Saving Energy whilst at Home
Save money whilst helping the earth – why not!?
- Visit the aef.com.au for 7 ways that you can lower your energy bills whilst safe at home!
- For further and more tailored advice, head to sustainability.vic.gov.au