MSA Study Buddy
The Study Buddy Program is run by the Monash Student Association (MSA) with the aim to match like-minded students with each other to form a study group. Study groups may range from 2 to 5 students.
We find that peer to peer interactions generally decrease as students advance to higher levels. We hope that the Study Buddy Program serves as a platform for peers to meet and connect over shared subjects.
- Enhance student learning and improve academic performance
- Enable students to connect with like-minded peers
- Encourage interaction with peers for studying
Who is eligible to sign up?
The Study Buddy Program is currently only open to undergraduate Civil Engineering Students studying on the Clayton Campus for Semester 2 2019. Are you interested? Sign up here.
How the matching process works
- Students sign up via filling out a Google Survey Form.The form includes questions about your particular units, personal study methods and goals. Please note that the form closes at the end of week 8 of Semester 2, 2019.
- MSA volunteers match the students with like-minded peers to form study groups of 2 to 5 students.
- If there is a match, we will be providing the email contact information of the other “study buddies” to students and allow them to contact each other.
- If there is no match, we will inform you via email by the end of week 9 of the semester.
Please see our FAQ below for more information.
How large are the Study Buddy Groups?
They may range from 2 to 5 students for a particular Study Group.
What if my assigned Study Buddies do not end up contacting me?
As much as we like to enforce contact, we cannot do so. It is up to students to manage their respective meetings themselves. We will follow up with students to ensure that they have been matched and are studying together. If you are experiencing any issues with communicating with your Study Buddy, please fill out the ISSUES form in the resources list. The secretarial team will work with you to organise a new match.
What do I do if my assigned Study Buddy makes me feel uncomfortable?
We take careful steps to ensure the safety of all students. If you are experiencing any discomfort due to your Study Buddy, please fill out the ISSUES form in the resources list. If the matter is serious enough, we will report it to the relevant MSA staff. Otherwise, the secretarial team will work with the students to organise a new match, and the particular student will be black-listed and removed from the system.
What if I do not get a match?
The MSA Study Buddy team will organise data and sort out potential matches, if there are cases where only one person signs up for a particular unit, the person will be unfortunately rejected. Therefore, we encourage students to select multiple units and allocate preferences for ease of matching.
‘I want to only be paired with a high-achieving student’
We do not discriminate based on grades.
'Can I request a single-sex study group’?
You may request this in the ‘Additional Comments’ section of the Googleforms Survey, however, this is not guaranteed as we are limited depending on who signs up for a particular subject.
- Please click here to sign up to the Study Buddy Program.
- Do you wish to discontinue from this program? Please click here to access our Discontinuation Form:
- Are there any issues or feedback you wish to report? Issues may include harassment or ghosting. Please click here to access our Issues Form.
- If you find you need further help for studies, please consider alternative resources such as seeking help from teaching staff or further services offered by MSA Tutoring. For more information, please click here to learn more about Vygo tutoring with MSA Tutoring.