Tax File Number
A Tax File Number (TFN) is a number issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) that identifies you in the Tax and Superannuation System
Click to learn about TFN and Superannuation System.
If you meet all the conditions, you can apply for a TFN:
- You are a foreign passport holder, permanent migrant or temporary visitor
- You are physically in Australia
- Your visa is one of the following:
- A permanent resident visa
- A visa with work rights
- An overseas student visa
- A visa allowing you to stay in Australia indefinitely (including New Zealanders automatically granted a visa on arrival).
Step 1: Prepare your documents
You will need the following:
- Passport or travel document (VISA) number
- Spouse Details
- Residential and postal Address (TFN notice will be posted to this address)
- Contact details (phone number and email address)
Step 2: Fill out the application form here.
Each screen contains information and questions you need to complete. To move between pages, use the navigation buttons at the bottom of each screen.
Step 3: Keep a record of your transaction number
After submitting your application, you will receive a reference number. Screenshot or note down your reference number to track your application.
How you will be notified of your TFN
If your application is successful, the system will issue a reference number and you will be sent a TFN notification letter to the Australian postal address you provided.