Tax Help is a network of ATO-trained and accredited Monash student volunteers who provide a free and confidential service to help people complete their tax returns online using myTax.
Tax Help is available on the Clayton and Caulfield campuses, and is available for all Monash University students. Tax Help is available from the 24th of July to the 31st of October each year.
Am I eligible for Tax Help?
You are eligible for Tax Help if your income is $50,000 or less for the income year and you did not:
- Work as a contractor (for example: a contract cleaner or taxi driver);
- Run a business, including as a sole trader;
- Have partnership or trust matters;
- Sell shares or an investment property;
- Own a rental property;
- Have capital gains tax (CGT);
- Receive royalties;
- Receive distributions from a trust, other than a managed fund;
- Receive foreign income, other than a foreign pension or annuity;
If you’re eligible for Tax Help you will need to have a myGov account linked to the ATO.
How can volunteers help me?
Volunteers can help you lodge your tax return online with myTax or claim a refund of franking credits. If our volunteers work out that you don’t need to lodge a tax return, they can help you complete a non-lodgement advice. Note: volunteers are unable to help you with amendments.
Booking an appointment
When you are ready to make an appointment, make an appointment online. Please book appointments at least 48 hours prior to appointment time.
Remember to bring these to your appointment:
- Your myGov user ID and password;
- Your bank account details (BSB and account number);
- Your tax file number;
- An original or amended notice of assessment from any one of the last five years (the assessment needs to have been issued before 31 May this year);
- Income statements from all sources;
- All your receipts for gifts, donations and work-related expenses;
- Details of any child support payments made;
- Details of any losses on investments in shares and rental properties (net investment losses);
- If you had a spouse (married or de-facto) at any time during the financial year, you also need to bring details of their taxable income or a reasonable estimate.
Appointments will be postponed if you do not bring the above items to your appointment.
If you would like to become a Tax Help Volunteer, become a MSA Volunteer today and choose 'tax help' as an interest. You will then be contacted when applications are open.